Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Last Couple of Days...

...have been crazy in so many different ways over the last couple of days.

My husband's biological dad passed away last Wednesday. My husband was raised in foster care from the time he was 5 years old. He never knew his biological dad until, I believe, he was 10 or 11 years old. From the age of 5-8 or so he was taken in and out of his home, finally at the age of 8 he was placed with a family at a farm. From that point on he stayed with that family. He was treated as one of the family, never adopted because his foster family wanted his biological family to still have contact with him. Anyway...his foster family quickly became the family he considered his true family. However, his dad was always welcome in the foster family home...they often times had him over for birthdays, Christmas, and other times. His biological dad was thankful that they were able to provide for his son in ways he could not. I say all of this to say, that even though he considered his foster family his family, he still to this day holds a special place in his heart for his dad. Since my husband is an only child to his dad, he took care of the arrangements and things. We had a short memorial service on Monday with family and friends. It was a nice time. My husband is just glad his dad is not suffering more. He had lung cancer that had spread to his bones.

Monday after the service we had to head to my sister's house to pick up the kids. As we were pulling into the driveway, apparently our daughter thought shoving something into her ear would be a brilliant idea. My sister feels terrible, even now, but really, as I continually tell her, as much as I wonder why she did it, I am not surprised at all that it was her to do something like that. We decided going to the ER would be a better option then to try to dig out whatever was in her ear. We got to the ER and I said to my husband uh oh...this doesn't look good. The waiting room was packed at 6 p.m. on a Monday. But what were we to do? We had to get it out! So, we went in. Mind you, my children had not had supper and had a busy day of playing. Finally 4 hours later we had the 2 minute procedure done...what was it you ask? What was in her ear? Well, honestly to this day we aren't 100% sure...it looks like it could be part of a snap...part of a toy...anything really. Why did she do this you wonder? Because it looked like an earring of course...and the most logical thing to do with it would be to shove it in your ear! I'm telling you...this girl is going to keep us on our toes! The kids did so good for being fed vending machine snacks and up way past their bedtime!

PS...the nurse told us that a Monday night is not a good time to shove something into your ear...good to know for future reference!

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to remember to have the boys stay injury free on Monday nights. :-) What a blessing for your kids to have a Daddy who knows what it's like to be a foster child. Hope your life soon gets a little calmer....if such a thing exists. :-)

    ReplyDelete